Friday, February 20, 2009

I am Aunt Gladys

I really come from a wonderful heritage...full of nuts! One such nut is my late great Aunt Gladys. She was my Grandma Harmon's sister. I think much of my need to craft comes from Grandma and her sisters.
They did it all...knit, crochet, quill, make flowers out of tin cans, Felt wise men, grape clackers, and even puppies out of old gloves. You name it they crafted it. But I do remember Grandma guarding her current craft form Aunt Gladys, because she always said that if she showed Aunt Gladys what she was doing Aunt Gladys would have ten of them done before she finished one. I am Aunt Gladys. I went to Homemaking aka Home family and Personal enrichment meeting the other night and the sisters in our ward showed us "Learning to _______is fun to do."
I learned that if you always cut your brownies with a plastic knife, the brownies won't tear, that if you boil chicken breasts you can shred them with your electric beaters, but best of all I learned about "Fun Fur".
Sister Allen used one strand of it along with a strand of regular yarn and made a really cute loom hat. So of course I went out the next day, bought a skein and went home to make "A" hat. This lead to having to finish the hat already on the loom, deciding it was too small, finishing the hat on the bigger loom, making 3 fun fur hats to use the whole skein of yarn, going to get another skein, not finding one but getting another kind (which i did not like as well because it was harder to work with) and making another hat...which probably no one will wear because Jessica says they look like a bad hair day. Guess what every one is getting for Christmas!!!



8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Haha.. Cindy you are too funny! I guess I take after Aunt Gladys too, because I can't not get involoved in everything crafty i see! We went to enrichment last night and learned how to knit.. i've been dreaming about it all day! (we got the wrong needles so steph is running to the store so we can start working on our scarfs again!!) Now i want you to show me how to make those hats!! haha

Lindsey said...

So I definitely laughed out loud at this post! You crack me up mom. Mostly because I can imagine you asking Jessica to put the hat on so you could take her picture, her saying no, and you deciding that you could take your own picture in the mirror. And you did. Go you!

Calli Potter said...

Nice self portrait... nobody willing to take your picture? I'm glad you finally updated, and that you and Lindsey are so good at actually completing the projects you start. I love to see, buy, and then put it away until you come to visit and finish it for me!

Ron and Paula said...

Hey I could have used one of those hats in Utah!

Christie Knight said...

Those are cute! I see all kinds of things I want to make, bake, etc, but sometimes (ha-most of the time) I'm not motivated or I get too lazy!

Summer said...

are those the hats you are bringing up to me in 12 days for me and Emily??

The McKnights said...

Cute hats, Mrs. Crafty! Crafts are addicting! I love learning new things to do and then of course having to make it right afterwards! Although I haven't been getting much done lately at all so I have this list of the things I need to make! ha ha Better get going before baby comes! How come I didn't remember you have a blog? I'm making an effort to stay in better touch with fam since we never get together anymore! Send me your e mail to mcknights06@gmail.com This is Jessica by the way, in case you didn't know from the "McKnights" ha ha

Ron and Paula said...

Hey enough about Aunt Gladys! I want to hear about your Idaho trip. And then you are off to Kansas, talk about a world traveler! Have fun!